3 skinless whole chicken legs
1 Ceylon Cinnamon Quill (5 inches)
180g dried figs
2 bay leaves, 12 shallots, 2 tbsp oil
180g small button mushrooms, cleaned
2 tbsp Tomato powder
1/2 tsp Ginger grounded
1 tsp brown sugar (Optional)
Salt to taste
2 tsp cornstarch
1. Place the chicken in a deep baking tray with bay leaves, Ceylon Cinnamon, and figs.
2. Put the shallots in a bowl and cover with hot boiling water about 2 minutes. Drain with cold water and peel away the skins.
3. Put the shallots and mushrooms in a preheated oil frying pan. Gently cook for 3 minutes. Add in water, tomato powder, ginger powder and cook further 3-4 minutes.
4. Slowly pour over the cooked shallots and mushrooms into the tray. Season with salt. Cook in the preheated 170°C oven for 1 hour.
5. Take out the chicken and keep in a warm place. Blend cornstarch with 2 tbsp cold water and stir into the braised liquid. Sugar and salt to taste if needed.
6. Arrange the chicken and ready to serve the mashed potatoes or with green vegetables.
I love this recipe so much because the figs combined so well with the sweetness and fermented taste of Ceylon Cinnamon. These are the main ingredients. We can further add in wholegrain mustard or black peppercorn if you prefer a hint of heat aftertaste.